Pages

Saturday 5 October 2013

Skydiving in the UK: Ese Walters finds a way to cool off after her sex scandal



Ese Walter need no introduction, after her sex scandal with Pastor Biodun Fatoyinbo of COZA and her struggle form writing, Ese finally finds a way to cool off, sky diving.

In her blog, she writes:

So for the past few weeks I have had the greatest block EVER! I tried and tried to write but just couldn’t. My inner critics kept telling me I was done writing. Words kept flooding my head but anytime I sat in front of my laptop, I struggled. “What do I write?” “How do I write?” “Will it make sense? I decided then to change focus and give writing a break. I looked at my bucket list, which I wrote about 3 years ago and one of the things I wanted to do before I die, was skydiving. Weird huh? Well, it was on the list and I knew at some point I was going to have to do it. Remembering that my personal theme for 2013 is “just do it” I decided to just go ahead and do it.

I booked the date for the 1st of October 2013. I have a thing for dates. I thought it would be my own way of celebrating my Country’s 53rd Independence. ‘An Independence Day Jump’ I tagged it. Hehe.


The date was drawing nearer and my mind had stopped counting down to it. Matter of fact, I didn’t know what to expect so I decided to NOT think about it until the day. I didn’t even speak to my family about it because I already preempted the fear-based reaction that was bound to follow.

Being the adventurer that I am (I am my father’s daughter!) Me old man is an adventurer himself. Guess I picked that gene.

I sha kept the plan to myself except for few close friends and family.
So, come Oct 1st, I journeyed to Cambridge from London to partake in what some would call a daredevil feat. I was the only one who didn’t come with family or supporters to watch or cheer me on. My cousin said, “I’m not coming to watch you die.” LOL.

We had a short training on how to behave when jumping out of the plane. Still at that point, my mind hadn’t fully registered what it was I was about to do.

I agreed with people who had once called me ‘crazy,’ I truly am crazy.

I met my instructor and photographer (the photographer jumped from the plane as well. Apparently, that’s his job, jumping with skydivers to take photos.)

The most intimidating part of the jump was when we were about to leap off the plane. I thought I was confident because I hadn’t spent any time thinking about what I was going to do. I got in that plane and was still in a ‘daydream state.’ By the time we were thousands of feet off the ground and couldn’t see the ground or landscape, I started to shake a little bit inside. When the doors were swung open, it finally started to sink in. I was the fourth to jump with my instructor.


As I sat on the edge of that plane looking out, I thought to myself, ‘what am I really doing?’ As we jumped off, my mind went blank. For the first few seconds, my mind stopped all thoughts. I remember the utter silence and slow motion that followed. It felt like an ‘out-of-body’ experience. I remember thinking, ‘I am dead now.’ Almost immediately, I felt this rush of wind as we started to free-fall through the clouds and the ground became visible even though very far (like you see it from airplane windows.)
I refused to close my eyes through it all because there was no way I was missing any bit of this life-altering adventure I had desired for years.


Then the photographer appeared in front of me (or was it below me?) I had been instructed in training that when I see him at that point, it was time to smile for the cameras…lol. Talk about smiling for photos while free falling.

We had jumped out of a moving plane thousands of feet about the ground and we were literally crashing to earth and I was meant to SMILE? Hahaha. It got funny at that point. I came back into my body and started to really feel the whole experience. It was simply AMAZING.

I felt the cold, the wind, the flying. Yes, that’s what it was. I felt as though I was flying. Heck, I was flying damn it! Lol. Apart from the falling, snapping, heart-stopping and all, I felt a surge of energy.

I had defiled fear.


Something that seemed so scary wasn’t so scary anymore. 
Upon landing safely, I realized my time here wasn’t nearly over. I’m gon be around a while. That’s right people…hahahha. I think life should be lived. It’s not enough to just exist.

To all interested in skydiving, take it from me, it’s sooooo worth it. It has been a life altering experience for me. And the rush? Oh my… Instead of running from it and wishing, JUST DO IT! It would change something about you.

Trust me, I KNOW!


Cheers to the freaking week y’al!

PS: Here’s the link to starting your skydive experience. Go on, click click click!!!
Also, you can view all 100 of my skydiving photos athttp://www.ukskydiving.com/myskydive/PCLWCMXYK/

0 comments:

Post a Comment